Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Great Grandmothers

Not many of us now-a-days can say they got to meet their great grandparents. I remember visiting one of my great grandmothers in a nursing home shortly before she passed away.  Marvin can recall many memories with his great grandparents. So...we thought it was very important for our MG to meet her THREE great grandmothers!

She first met my Meme, my mother's mother, when she was exactly 1 month old. MG is the first great grandchild on my side of the family.  For those of you who do not know, my Meme has been battling Alzheimer's for the past few years and was recently put in a nursing home.  Of all the things that have left her memory, how to hold a baby was NOT one of them.  When she saw Mary Grayson for the first time she cradled her arms like she'd been doing it for years!!! It was so neat to see them together. Alzheimer's is a terribly sad disease, one that is most difficult for the family members, watching their loved one slowly deteriorate, than for the patient them self.  I know my Meme did not know who I was that day. Nor could she comprehend the fact that I now have a daughter. BUT...we were there and Mary Grayson will know what a wonderful grandmother she was to her momma.

Meme and MG
Next order of business was to meet my dad's mother, Grandmother McKey!  She was able to come down to Baton Rouge from Centerville, Mississippi for MG's Sip 'N See at my parents house. Grandmother was able to get some good lovin' while Marvin and I got ready for the party.  MG is Grandmother's 5th great grandchild.  She will become a great grandmother for the 7th time this summer.  We are so blessed that she was able to make it to the party and I cannot wait to tell MG stories of my adventures with Grandmother and Grandaddy.
Grandmother and MG
Last but certainly not least, MG got to meet Marvin's Grandma, Grandma Waggoner.  Grandma flew from Illinois to Dallas to attend her brother's memorial service.  So, Marvin, MG and I packed up and made the quick trip to Dallas so they could meet!  Grandma Waggoner has 8 great grandchildren, and we are looking forward to them all being together this November for the Waggoner Family Thanksgiving!

Grandma and MG
Mary Grayson's fourth great grandmother, Grandma Saums, passed away in January 2009.  I know she would have loved to meet MG and we would have loved to see the two of them together.  The beautiful purple quilt Mary Grayson was playing on in a picture on Our February post was quilted by Grandma Saums and given to Mary Grayson's Grammy.  We love that quilt and think of her often when MG is playing on it!

Marvin and I are so blessed to have such wonderful role models for our little girl.  We know she is spoiled already.  Grandparents are special people.  They are the ones who will tell our little girl about us when we were her age!! MG has one living great grandfather and it will be a special day when she gets to meet her Grandpa Waggoner.

No comments:

Post a Comment